RFI

Re: [RFI] BCB Noise in Ford Expedition AND OTHER FORDS

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] BCB Noise in Ford Expedition AND OTHER FORDS
From: "Mike A. King - KM0T" <scsueepe@mtcnet.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:42:07 -0600
Hi all, with the below included previous messages and information from Dave
on his Sport Trac, I decided to test a ford Excursion.  I got one from the
local dealer, a XLT 2000 model and it exhibits the same exact RFI as
indicated below.

With that (and getting a tip from an AM radio show on car stuff) I went to
www.alldata.com

This is a website that has all kinds of maintinance info in cars, trucks
etc. along with TSBs - Technical Service Bulletins.  Although your not able
to download the TSBs (unless you subscribe for a fee), you can at least
search and see if a specific problem has been addressed by the manufactuer.
This may be old news for some, but I thought I would post it here.

Anyway, I found two TSBs for Ford Excursions.

For the 2001 - 2002 models
02-16-4        AUG 02       Audio System - Whining/Buzzing Noise From
Speakers

For the 2000 model
01-7-3         APR 01       Fuel Pump - Whine Heard Through Radio Speakers

My guess is that the Expedition has similar or the same TSBs.

So, I called the dealer and asked if he was familiar with the TSBs and if he
would look these up.  He called back and indicated that both of these TSBs
were essentially the same and If I bought one, he would install the filter
that was discussed in the TSB.  Perhaps this is the same filter "CorCom
EMI/RFI ac line filter" discussed in Daves post below.  He did not offer to
show me the TSB.

Now, this would solve the fuel pump RFI, but for sure there is spark
interference as indicated by the changing whine as the RPMs were varied.
Looks like that shielding the spark plug wires is the way to go as
discussed, looks like quite a job however.

Does anyone know of a way to get the dealer to do this too?  The wiring
harnesses for the 10 spark plugs in the Excursion look to be well taped up
and grouped real good with other bundles of control wires inside of a flex /
corregated PVC tube.  It would be a pain to do for sure.

Any suggestions welcomed!

73

Mike - KM0T

PS - I find it hard to believe that Ford, with such a noise in their factory
AM radios would not fix it under general productions, what a crock!