RFI

RE: [RFI] BPL

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [RFI] BPL
From: "Cortland Richmond" <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 07:33:00 -0700
It COULD be useful to observe and report to the conferees -- if that were
even possible (hah!) -- interference to reception of stations such as WWV
and coastal and marine stations.  Such an immediate and public
demonstration that BPL causes harmful interference (and to a US government
service) would go far to offset the "big lie"technique industry spokesmen
seem to be using. However, as has been pointed out elsewhere here, the
circumstances are not likely to allow monitoring a BPL system in operation,
let alone presenting any such observations to the conference.

Failing that, knowing people will be assembled whom we need to reach, it
might be possible to contact them directly -- politely, diplomatically and
with no fanfare at all -- to offset BPL propaganda. That goes, I think,
well beyond what most individual Amateurs could do; we haven't got the
industry contacts. And considering the immoderate tone of some of our
comrades' remarks, that's a good thing!

Cortland Richmond

mobile stations could say with a straight face that this was "normal
amateur operating?"  If they did, does anyone think that the BPL industry,
the utilities or the FCC would believe them?

> Any talk about intentionally disrupting BPL systems is harmful. There is
no place for such vigilante approaches in trying to deal with BPL
interference.  Even these discussions do not reflect well on the amateur
radio service.