RFI

Re: [RFI] grounding your ham equipment

To: "'Tom Rauch'" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"'Michael Neverdosky'" <1twidget@gmail.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] grounding your ham equipment
From: "KC2TN" <kc2tn@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 01:20:20 -0400
Actually, Tom, quite the contrary....All of my cables are bonded at the
top of the tower AND at the bottom of the tower. There's only 15 feet
between the tower and the entrance panel.

All the cables come through a Microflect entrance panel and go directly
to a SPGP where all of the Polyphasers are mounted. Each piece of radio
gear has a separate bond that goes to the SPGP also. The entrance panel
is bonded to the grounding field via two 6" wide copper straps.
Therefore the total square inches of cable entering the shack equals or
is less than the total area of bonding strap leaving the shack.

I'm leaning towards the EMP as the culprit. It's the only potential
hazard I didn't address by putting a Halo around the shack since my
shack is right under the tower cone.

I've had my tower up for 25 years and never took a hit either until now.
Of course, in talking with other area residents, they've never seen a
storm like this one. It just hung around with constant lightning for
hours.