RFI

Re: [RFI] 138kv power lines

To: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] 138kv power lines
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 17:51:51 -0700 (PDT)
Jim Jarvis wrote:
> Truth there...but other reasons: a) resale would suck due to
> uninformed hysteria.

Some real estate market info:

When I was looking for property in 1997, I looked at dozens of
10 and 20 acre vacant parcels.  I would say at least 1/3 of them
turned out to be VERY close to high tension lines.  Maybe
that is why no one had ever built a house on them.  I don't
think this is a coincidence.  Properties under these lines just
don't sell.  The customer is always right, even when he believes
in junk science.

I happen to know of a 55 acre property which has a 500 kV line
running right through it.  The line is really big, being a main intertie
between the San Francisco bay area and the central valley.
As a bonus, there is a huge substation right next to the property.
The property has been for sale since at least 1990.  The bank that owns
the property after foreclosing has not been able to give it away, even
asking only $10K/acre (<1 mile away, they're getting a million $ an acre).

We now return to our regularly scheduled technical discussion.

Rick N6RK