RFI

Re: [RFI] Toyota Special Instructions

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Toyota Special Instructions
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:54:17 -0700
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:27:39 -0400, NE1B wrote:

>Has anyone found the "Toyota Special Instructions for installation of a
>mobile two-way radio system"?

Same sort of admonition in the manual for my 2006 Toyota Sequoia (big SUV).
No issues on VHF/UHF with 100 watts, but train wreck on HF -- 100 watts on
20 meters crashed the car's computer. No damage, but top speed was 15 mph.
Short term fix -- don't transmit, pull and restore main power feed off the
battery to reboot the computer.

Analysis and long term fix: Simple ohmeter tests show that many (most?) of
the body parts are not bonded together, thanks to a marvelous paint job.
When I have time, I'll work on doing this. Big ferrite chokes on power
leads may help some too -- study the applications note on ferrites on my
website to understand their use at HF.

I would also check the ARRL website and the mobile email list for
additional info/advice.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC