RFI

Re: [RFI] Nasty RFI wiping out higher bands

To: WarrenWolff@aol.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Nasty RFI wiping out higher bands
From: "Kelly Johnson" <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:46:35 -0800
Sarcasm?

I can tell you that a single negative review by a single blogger out
in the bloggosphere caused one of my OEM customers to DEMAND that we
backport a software feature to an older software release.
Manufacturers don't care about your problem if all you do is call
their customer complaint line and threaten to never buy their junk
again, but don't be so sure they won't care if you report bad
equipment on the web.  I know companies that hire people to respond to
blogs and defuse any negative reports.

Yes, the FCC could have fixed this problem when they had the chance
just like they could have solved the antenna ordinance problem, but
they didn't...and they're not likely to do so.

I just want a place on the web where I can go and find out what
brands/models of CE are known to be clean/dirty w.r.t RFI.  It's as
simple as that.  If manufacturers don't care, then so be it.  Some of
the manufacturers still build decent RFI immunity.

I took an FT-817 to Best Buy a year so ago.  I was actually surprised
to realize that none of the TVs on display there radiated as much RFI
as my 14 year old CRT.  That says nothing about the TVI and is
somewhat limited by the fact that my FT-817 antenna is nowhere near
efficient for the HF bands, but it was still a nice datapoint which
made me less concerned about buying a new TV than I was after hearing
the horror stories about early Plasma tvs.