RFI

Re: [RFI] You think YOU have RFI problems? ;-)

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] You think YOU have RFI problems? ;-)
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 09:49:28 -0800
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 08:22:36 -0800, Joe wrote:

>A lot of money tied up there, but....the telescope needs to be moved to an
>island.  It is not fair to the communities around the site to suffer from
>modern  device denial for something that can be located in a secure, radio
>free area.

I strongly disagree. Those communities are interlopers. I'm a native of WV,
and lived there when Green Bank was built (not nearby, at the other end of
the state). At that time, Green Bank was in the middle of nowhere, and was
declared in the FCC Rules, as a radio-free zone. It was specifically chosen
as a site BECAUSE it was in the middle of nowhere.

The situation is not unlike that of AM broadcasters around major cities. In
two cities where I spent considerable time, Chicago and Cincinnati, the 50
kW stations (WMAQ, WBBM, WLS, WLW, WCKY)were built far out of town in the
middle of the prairie. Over a period of 60 years, suburbia evenually
swallowed them up, with housing developments surrounding them on all sides.

I have a great photo in one of my EMC power point presentations (for audio
guys) of a big Greek Orthodox Church built on land that immediately borders
the radial field of WJJD, a 50 kW 4-tower directional on 1160 kHz. I would
love to have been a fly on the wall when the real estate developer sold them
that land -- "Have I got a deal for you!"

73,

Jim Brown K9YC