RFI

Re: [RFI] CFLs and LEDs

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] CFLs and LEDs
From: Alan NV8A <nv8a@att.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 12:17:18 -0500
On 11/12/08 01:55 pm George Gorsline VE3YV wrote:

> FWIW - I have CFLs throughout the house and also at the cottage.  No
> issues with RFI, but as noted cold start in the winter (before the wood
> stove heats the cottage up) will give you slow firing and gradual
> increase to normal brightness.  They're getting nicer now that warmer
> temperatures (colours) are available.  Early purchases didn't have good
> life - lots of premature failures.  Note that the fine print says that
> they aren't to be installed in enclosed ceiling fixtures - where most of
> my failures have been.  Surprising given much lower heat buildup versus
> incandescent.  Would prefer to use LEDs when the price comes down as
> while CFLs have lower energy consumption, they create a mercury disposal
> problem.
> LED Christmas lights seem to be RF quiet - at least relative to the
> existing noise floor of downtown living.  And in Toronto, the hydro
> (power) company gives them away free every year - one string for every
> two of the old style turned in.  The one LED RFI problem I've observed
> is probably a crummy power supply design in flashing "DON'T WALK"
> countdown LED displays at some intersections in the downtown core.

Some of our CFLs have not lasted very long, and they do take a little
while to achieve full brightness.

Yesterday at Sam's Club I picked up a two-pack of 45-watt-equivalent LED
bulbs with a power consumption of 3.5 watts. These are intended for
track lighting and recessed downlights. There is no delay, they seem
brighter (certainly whiter) than the 50-watt incandescents they
replaced, and so far I have detected no RFI.

Alan NV8A