RFI

Re: [RFI] CFLs and LEDs

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] CFLs and LEDs
From: Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 09:30:12 -0600
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 07:17, David C. Hallam <dhallam@rapidsys.com> wrote:

> Do far my experience with CFL's has been very poor.  I mark the date in
> service on each one as I install it.  6 months is the longest one has
> lasted with a couple a little as 2 weeks.  Overall, I would rate them as

I'm shocked at that.  I mark mine, too.  Some globe-type bulbs in the
kitchen table fixture have started to go (2 of 5 so far) and I was
extremely disappointed to see that they'd only been in service for a
year.

We replaced all incandescents in our Chicagoland house in 2000-2001
and most of those were still in service when we moved in 2006.
Notable exceptions were the two lamps in the outdoor fixtures.  We
also had some problems with CFLs in a seiling fan fixture which I
attribute to the fact that the bulb sits at about a 45 deg angle
instead of vertical (come to think of it, we've had the same issue
with a ceiling fan fixture here, too.

Except for special-needs fixtures (like the oven and some others),
I'll never use incandescents again.

No Trillion-dollar blank check for crooks!