RFI

Re: [RFI] hdtv recommendations

To: K1TTT <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Subject: Re: [RFI] hdtv recommendations
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 19:10:34 -0500
On Jan 11, 2010, at 6:07 PM, K1TTT wrote:

> Ok, all you experts.  I NEED an hdtv now... but I need a bright one that
> won't wash out in my living room during the day if possible.  Those of you
> who have been here and seen my regular crt based tv during the day can
> understand the problem.  And of course it needs to be nice any quiet since
> its right in the middle of the antenna farm.  Any suggestions?

We've had a Westinghouse (!!!) 42-inch LCD monitor for about six months now.
It's in our great room, which is virtually all windows and southern exposure.
The monitor actually sits between two fairly large windows.  We have absolutely
no issues with viewability on bright days.  I sampled a few of the football
games my son was watching yesterday from about the time he woke up until he
went to bed, and there was never any issue of washout.  In fact, I kept
thinking, "This HD stuff is absolutely amazing!"

I don't think this set has LED background.

The shack is adjacent to the great room but, more importantly, one of my
80-meter dipoles runs diagonally over the great room, perhaps 60 feet above it.
 I certainly have a bunch of junk I hear on the low end of 80 and 160, but it's
still there long after I've pulled the plug on the Westinghouse.

Bud, W2RU