RFI

Re: [RFI] "Inverter Technology" microwave ovens

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] "Inverter Technology" microwave ovens
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 15:07:10 -0500

On 12/17/2010 2:34 PM, KD7JYK DM09 wrote:
> : makes for lighter less expensive power supplies and I do have a light
> : weight microwave oven of several years. It may very well have an
> : inverter power supply.
>
> The transformer in my last microwave could provide 7.6KV @ 1A, these new
> inverters must be pretty hefty!
>
> : As an aside. A friend does county hunting from a Honda hybrid. I asked
> : about the RFI from the motor control. He said it is manageable. He does
> : operate his HF rig while in motion.  I have yet to talk to a HAM who
> : owns a Toyota hybrid or all electric who can operate an HF radio in
>
> I work with Class C Telemetry on HF and I can hear those %#(*&%(*%!!!
> Toyotas for a quarter mile radius, heck, they can be on the next block and
> wipe me out!
I don't operate HF from it, but My wife's Prius gets parked right under
one the 75 meter dipoles. Before the balun failed (and I could use the
antenna) I never heard a peep out of that car, when started, backing
out, or coming in. I hear nothing on 40 as well but the only antenna I
have working right now is in the back yard (bout 50 - 75 feet more
distant)   Having operated HF mobile in the past I realize that even
close to the antenna is not the same as operating *from* the car. OTOH
we live about 300 feet from a very busy road and I've never noticed
anything from traffic on 75 or 40.

73

Roger (K8RI)