RFI

Re: [RFI] "Inverter Technology" microwave ovens

To: "'Don Nelson'" <n0ye@comcast.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] "Inverter Technology" microwave ovens
From: "Gene Langendorff" <k6ttm@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 12:51:00 -0800
I have a Panasonic "Inverter Technology" microwave oven and really love it.
As Dave said, the magnetron operates at reduced power when you set it for
reduced power -- not like other microwaves that use 100% magnetron power
with sometimes a very long duty cycle.  My daughter has a GE (I think) that
has about a 10 second duty cycle.  For 50% she gets about 5 secs on, then 5
secs off.  When she was younger we used to make S'mores in our old Amana and
we could watch the marshmallow "breath," getting larger and then shrinking
with each cycle of the microwave's reduced power setting.  Fortunately the
duty cycle wasn't as long as my daughter's current microwave -- the
marshmallow would surely have EXPLODED!  What a mess that would have been!

I like the Panasonic for re-heating food.  I usually use 50% power for twice
as long and the benefit is that it rarely spatters food all over the inside
of the microwave.  I usually don't even bother to cover the food as a
result.  Handy!

The Panasonic very likely has a switch-mode PS (What consumer product
doesn't these days) and the oven is rather light weight.  Regardless, I
haven't noticed any RFI from my oven.

Gene K6TTM