RFI

Re: [RFI] Help with Bad RFI.

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Help with Bad RFI.
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 05:55:00 -0500
Hi, Rick,

Some power companies don't learn until they've been burned a few times. :-)

But I agree, the nature of the noise doesn't sound like power line.  In that
case, the power company is not responsible.

The plasma TVs that radiate noise have typically been more noisy on the lower
bands.

I hate to bring up the thread gain, but the noise sounds like it could be
coming from a high-powered indoor grow light. I say that because the one model
we looked at had a peak of 9 MHz, with strong noise also above and below it.
Most of them are operated on timers, though, so would be more regular than you
are describing.

It should be possible to find it with a drivearound, but you'd need an HF rig
to do so. Does your HF rig operate from 12 volts? If so, a  simple whip antenna
and a mag mount for your car could do the trick, although you'd have to invest
about $50 for the 4-magnet mount and another $20 for at least one of the
single-band mobile whips.  If the noise is really loud, you may also need a
step attenuator.

If you can find some local technical help, that can be useful. In some areas,
there are technical volunteers that do sometimes help. Contact your ARRL
Section Manager and ask to be put in contact with the Section Technical
Coordinator, He or she will usually know what technical resources are
available.

http://www.arrl.org/sections

Your local club may also have a technical guru, or at least someone with an HF
mobile setup.

http://www.arrl.org/clubs

I do have a mag mount and HF rig that could be loaned, but I fear that the cost
of shipping would exceed the cost of your buying a mag mount, if you have a
receiver capable of operating on the bands of interest.

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Laboratory Manager
225 Main St