RFI

Re: [RFI] More on LightSquared

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] More on LightSquared
From: K8RI <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:56:10 -0400
On 3/25/2011 3:19 PM, Diane & Edward Swynar wrote:
> It's absolutely ludicrous that we Amateurs here in Canada have to be ready
> to fend-off assaults upon our ability to erect even simple dipoles atop a
> tower (in light of our exposing our neighbours to RF radiation), when
> outfits like this can rule with absolute impunity, without need of
> environmental assessments, approvals, assessments, etc. etc. etc.

More than that.  This is supposed to be part, or most of the "broadband
for everyone" and is a pet project from someone at the top of the food
chain that rules by decree.  Normally any business or individual would
have to go through all this approval process including RF exposure
guidelines.  It is being (or was) opposed by the Department of Defense,
Department of Transportation, Homeland Security, aviation groups, and
those dealing with public safety and health. It is not a "done deal" or
does not appear to be, contrary to LightSquared's actions.  The FCC "has
said" that "LightSquared" must prove they can operate without causing
interference to GPS, but LightSquared has openly stated they believe the
GPS receivers can be filtered to keep out their signals. Keep in mind
this is a network of 40-45KW transmitters operating right next to GPS
with no buffer space like we had between TV channels.

Just do a search on LightSquared and GPS. You will find a lot of
information.

However there are some aspects that just don't sound right such as
LightSquared being given the goahead to install the equipment even
before the testing is done.  Will the FCC bow to outside pressure
contrary to technical information? We'll know if just a few weeks. It's
also interesting that LightSquared's testing showed little if any
problems yet those of the GPS industry showed major problems.   Sorta
sounds like BPL in the early days...which may be returning to haunt us.

Without going into all the details, spectrum for ground based wireless
is very expensive. LightSquared which apparently did not have the
resources to compete on that playing field, purchased a much less
expensive chunk of spectrum dedicated to satellite operation. However
this operation is allowed to use ground based transmitters for
augmentation of those signals.  LightSquared has proposed something like
40,000 of these transmitters which can run up to IIRC 45 KW each. This
spectrum is directly adjacent to the GPS frequencies and was never
intended to be used in this manner.

LightSquared has also stated they are filtering the output on the
transmitters so they should not be a source of interference.  Imagine a
45KW carrier right next to a receiver listening to very weak signals.
Would filtering at the transmitter help?  Now change that carrier to a
high speed broad band digital signal and how will their neighbors fare?

> As usual, it's the golden rule again (as in, "He who has the gold, rules").
> The individual radio Ham simply has no chance.

It's more likely a who has the most power.

> I'm surprised that the general populace hasn't be roused-up in arms over
> this. Just where IS everyone on this matter, anyway...?!

The general populace "in almost any country" is not technically inclined
and has to be carefully informed in a way they can identify with. IOW as
with computers, aviation, and ham radio, they are completely clueless.
Remember they could not understand that cordless phones and cell phones
are really radios so the FCC had to ban receivers that covered that
range instead of requiring the phones to use encryption which BTW I
believe almost all do now.

73

Roger (K8RI)