RFI

Re: [RFI] Comparing Lightning Arrestors?

To: myles landstein <myles.landstein@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Comparing Lightning Arrestors?
From: dalej <dj2001x@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 03:44:06 -0500
Myles,  no problem.

But just to clarify,

A house was struck less than a mile from my QTH.  Actually it wasn't the house,
but a gas meter.  The occupants could not return until the house was completely
rebuilt months later.  Nice house too.

On my mothers property a lightning bolt struck a pine tree about 40 feet from
her house, the tree was quite tall but by the time lightning was finished it
was about 12 feet tall and parts of that large tree was scattered for a block
around the house.  The bolt moved on the ground, made it inside the house to an
electrical outlet on the patio then took out a freezer and some other
electrical appliances.  The track was clearly visible as it burned a carpet
leading right to that outlet.  It was amazing.  I have a video tape of it.

Let me set the record straight.  I know about TV transmission towers, radio
towers, the Empire state building etc.  The question was, was there anything to
replace the ICE devices...From there we went on, and on...

I think we're all pretty clear about lightning and it's effects.  W8JI, which
the link to his web page seems to have all the right answers so if I were
inclined, that is how I'd pattern my lightning protection, but I choose to
tempt mother nature and just disconnect every thing when I hear the distant
rumble.  If I happen to be away and forget to disconnect, well then I hope my
insurance will cover, otherwise I am S.O.L.  :(  And that's about all I have to
say on this subject.  73 Dale