RFI

Re: [RFI] Comparing Lightning Arrestors?

To: dalej <dj2001x@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Comparing Lightning Arrestors?
From: K8RI <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 04:38:59 -0400
On 5/18/2011 4:05 AM, dalej wrote:

> Nice installation Roger.  Thanks for the article and pictures.  Mine is not
> as elaborate, but I do have three ground rods all tied together at the base
> of the tower and one at the shack entrance about 30 feet from the tower.  The
> station ground is tied into the cold water copper pipes which is tied to
> another ground on the other side of the house at the service entrance and it
> is tied in to the street side of the water meter too.  The entire ground
> system here is all tied in to the tower grounds with heavy solid copper
> buried wire. We don't get the lightning storms here like say in Tucson Az or
> Florida, but we do get some.  Sometimes rather intense..
>
> I was gonna say that (I have not had any lightning damage here in 38 years),
> but I'll just say I've been lucky so far.

Thanks on the comments,

Even with 32 or 33 Ground rods cadwelded(TM) to over 600 feet of bare #2
copper, I have claim luck, particularly as many times as the tower has
been hit. <:-))  It's taken all those hits without damage...that I know
of, but the next one could blow everything apart.  You never know, but
it doesn't hurt to try and stack the odds in your favor.

Keeping the antennas at DC ground along with current baluns helps keep
the noise down too.

73

Roger (K8RI)