RFI

Re: [RFI] Smart Meter Lawsuit in Texas

To: qrv@kd4e.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Smart Meter Lawsuit in Texas
From: Charles Coldwell <coldwell@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 05:33:14 -0500
On Feb 26, 2012, at 5:12 PM, qrv@kd4e.com wrote:

> If someone can remotely turn an appliance on and off I am guessing
> it would be trivial to find a way to query the appliance for more
> data,

Suppose the appliance is a central air conditioner.  The utility could make a
pretty good guess as to whether it is on or off by metering your power
consumption.

Here in Mass there was some interest in "Combined Heat and Power" systems: use
the waste heat from a natural gas generator to heat the home.  Then connect the
CHP system to a smart grid so that the utility could turn on distributed
generating capacity during periods of high demand.  Of course, high demand for
electricity is likely to occur during the summer, when you don't want to heat
your house ....

73s

--
Charles M. Coldwell, W1CMC