RFI

Re: [RFI] Frequency-Specific Interference

To: "Scott Yost" <nm8rmedic@rocketmail.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Frequency-Specific Interference
From: "KD7JYK DM09" <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 12:16:50 -0800
"What kind of device makes an arc-like noise, yet is so defined in its
spectrum? And the fact that it avoids the amateur bands seems like a clue in
this age (hopefully waning) of BPL."

You can hear that it's random arcing of various amplitude, so most likely
not BPL or similar, even the best Military encryption systems will have an
obvious interleaving sound to them.  I've heard many recordings of such data
systems and regret that I worked for a company developing it over a decade
ago.  I didn't know it at the time, yes, I expect there is a special place
in Hell for me due to that...

I once had a situation here with a damaged CFL light bulb that seemed to
have some frequency specific characteristics, not specific notches in Ham
bands, but a meg or two missing here and there and nothing detectale above
8.5 MHz or so, which made it suspicious.  As it turns out, these notches
were determined my the wiring in the house, an odd mixture of radiators and
chokes at various frequencies on HF due to the layout.

Kurt