RFI

[RFI] A fun and educational RFI toy.

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] A fun and educational RFI toy.
From: "KD7JYK DM09" <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 12:33:01 -0800
I picked up a LISN, Line Impedance Stabilization Network box from a fellow
many years ago.  This box allows me to apply power to a device under test
and monitor any noise the device produces on the power line on a spectrum
analyser.  They are used for electromagnetic compliance testing.

Now for the fun part!

These boxes are very simple in design and you can connect the output to your
receiver.

You can plug any device operating on household power to the box, connect it
directly to your radio and all you'll hear in your receiver is the garbage
your item produces over the power lines and possibly radiates into the
neighbourhood.  Want to hear what a lightbulb produces, plug on in, fire up
your receiver.  How about a power supply for your computer?  Plug it in,
spin the dial.  Doorbell transformer with an odd smell?  Plug it in, fire up
your receiver, listen to the hash and arcing...  How about the noise another
receiver produces to the first?

It's great for learning what everything you own, and only what that device,
generates.

Basic info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_Impedance_Stabilization_Network

A search on Google brings up some designs for those that want to roll their
own, there's a few on ebay, but they must be full of cocaine or gold bricks,
the cheapest is about twenty times what I paid for a used one from a govt'
contractor used to seeing big $ signs.

Kurt