RFI

Re: [RFI] just what everyone needs!

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] just what everyone needs!
From: Andy <AI.egrps1+contesting@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 15:07:16 -0400
I am having a bit of trouble understanding exactly what this "wire"
is, and how it was supposed to be used.

>From the physical description, it appears to be a miniature coax
cable, where that inner "filter layer" is the coax shield.  And that
the shield seems to be made out of some sort of lossy material, that
imparts an absorption and attenuation at frequencies around a GHz and
higher.

But oddly, there seems to be no mention of "coax" in the product
description, nor of a characteristic impedance or anything like that.
The key parameter seems to be wire gauge.

So is this thing meant to be used like a normal coax cable, with the
filter/shield layer connected on both ends?

Or is it used like hookup wire?  Or something else?

Just what does it mean to be "used as a component in a shielded
cable"?  Is it not a fully formed shielded cable already?

I have a really hard time imagining someone wanting to use a foot of
this stuff (or of ANY hookup wire) with GHz frequencies, in any
arrangement other than coaxial with the shield layer grounded and
providing the return path, and expecting consistent results at those
frequencies.

So is the specified attenuation what you get for line loss, with the
filter layer grounded on both ends like coax?  If the layer is not
grounded, it would be unpredictable, wouldn't it?

Thanks,
Andy