RFI

Re: [RFI] rfi problem

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] rfi problem
From: Cortland Richmond <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 17:40:47 -0400
Some years ago, AT&T Cable installed carrier current modems on its boxes to handle dialup for billing. These operated on 3.52 MHz, which quickly came to the notice of the Northern California DX Asssociation and then the ARRL.

I was one Sunday tracking these down in Petaluma, CA when I saw a strange activity. As I drove my antenna and loop festooned mobile along, people were running out of their houses into back yards. One might be a barbecue in need of care, another a dog got loose, but in time I realized they had been stealing cable service to watch the football game; someone had seen me approaching dwellings with a handheld loop and receiver and, thinking I was from the Cable company, phoned ahead to remove illegal cable connections before they could be discovered.

That was a fine reward for my efforts. Ha!

WRT to 145.23, when I was in MA in the 1980's, the Boston Marathon used the Red Cross repeater for its comms, and had trouble every year with leakage of the audio carrier there. Nowadays, things may be worse; digital TV signals almost fill each channel.

Cortland
KA5S