RFI

[RFI] Oscilloscope requirements for power line noise locating

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Oscilloscope requirements for power line noise locating
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 16:10:09 -0500
I have some more questions. I have been re-reading relevant sections of Loftness' book on using an oscilloscope with a Sadelco (or similar, presumably) field strength meter but it isn't all coming together for me.

For this purpose, what are the minimum scope specifications for acceptable performance (bandwidth and otherwise)? The two scopes referenced in the book appear to be 40 and 60 MHz units. I don't see why that bandwidth would be needed. Is it?

I don't yet understand exactly how he triggered or set up the scope to obtain a stable trace in the field. I do NOT have extensive experience with scopes so I may be missing something basic here. Using my HP 1980B scope at home, I had to resort to external triggering from the AC line to get a stable display when viewing power line noise pulse groups from my station receiver. However that scope has digital controls and sweep rate is not infinitely adjustable. I wouldn't be able to trigger off the AC line in the field.

Would anyone have recommendations for inexpensive scopes suitable for this purpose that can run from internal batteries? Everything I use in the field ABSOLUTELY MUST be 100% portable and able to be hand-carried. Anything that is not is useless to me.

I am considering selling off part of my ham station to assemble a noise locating system with a field strength meter (providing video output), oscilloscope, and log periodic dipole array antenna. But first I need to get a better picture of what it's going to take.

Thanks,

Paul Kelley, N1BUG
RFI Committee chair,
Piscataquis Amateur Radio Club