RFI

Re: [RFI] Electrical transfomer near shack, a problem?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Electrical transfomer near shack, a problem?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 10:34:50 -0800
On 1/9/2013 7:34 PM, William Hein wrote:
Should I be concerned about any RFI from the transformer's magnetic fields?

Not RFI, but don't overlook the possibility of baseband (power frequency) leakage magnetic fields around large transformers, or even from the ground wiring for those transformers. Such fields are coupled to loops of wire, and to unshielded audio transformers. Virtually all audio transformers used by hams are unshielded -- shielded transformers are used in pro audio (Jensen, of Burbank, CA is the Cadillac brand), but they aren't cheap.

I wouldn't worry too much about a transformer serving only your home, but I might be concerned about one serving many homes.

73, Jim K9YC