RFI

[RFI] Electrical transfomer near shack, a problem?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Electrical transfomer near shack, a problem?
From: William Hein <bill.aa7xt@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 20:34:44 -0700
I live on 35 acres and have lots of room for towers and antennas.  The location
seems pretty quiet so I'm looking forward to some serious antenna building.

In preparation for spring and summer tower and antenna construction I am about
to have my electrical utility line put underground.  The electrical utilities
here in Glade Park are above ground (telephone service is buried and there is
no CATV up here).  The current electrical service line from the transmission
line alongside the road runs about 400 feet above ground on poles past my house
to a transformer and then doubles back underground about 100 feet to my house.
Unfortunately this line crosses my best tower and antenna locations.

My current plan is to disable and remove the existing above ground and below
ground line and replace it with a new line that runs underground 350 feet from
my property line in a straight line to a new pad mount step-down transformer
outputting 220VAC single phase 200A to my house.  This new transformer will be
about 40 feet from shack.  The run from the pad mount transformer to my house
service entrance will also be underground.

I will have some antennas, mostly VHF (weak signal, not FM repeaters), near my
shack and within 30 or 40 feet on this new transformer.  Should I be concerned
about any RFI from the transformer's magnetic fields?  If I locate the
transformer further away I will have to use larger gauge wire to the house
service entrance.

73
Bill

William Hein, AA7XT