RFI

Re: [RFI] 9Khz spacing of intermodes carriers interference

To: rfi <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] 9Khz spacing of intermodes carriers interference
From: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 11:47:38 -0800
Ami,

RFI problems like yours have plagued many of us, me included.
As Jim, K9YC  mentioned, his information is very good reading to understand the
cause and
help with diagnosing and solving the RFI.
I have had repeated fun chasing RFI here at my QTH and heres what I do to track
down the source:

First thing is to determine if the noise source is in your own dwelling or
external to your dwelling.
If you can power your radio from a battery temporarily, have it listening to
the noise and shut off
AC power to the house with the main breaker.  If the noise goes away it is in
your house somewhere.
If it doesnt then it is external to the house.   If it is in the house, then
one by one, turn on the circuit breakers until
the noise reappears, that will be the circuit the noise maker is on.  Then you
can go around and disconnect one by one
everything that is plugged in to this circuit.  You will be able to determine
where the culprit is this way.
If it is external to the house then you will need to do some checking with a
portable AM radio to start with
and see if you can zero in on the location.   Hopefully it is inside your
house.  I have found a number of RFI offenders
this way.  The last culprit was a battery charger for a portable drill in the
garage.  Another one was our satellite TV receiver,
I had to unplug it from the outlet to find it was an offender,  even though it
was turned off the power supply is always on
and generating noise.
I hope this helps a little, good luck on finding the noise source and keep us
posted !

73,
Bob
K6UJ