RFI

Re: [RFI] 9Khz spacing of intermodes carriers interference

Subject: Re: [RFI] 9Khz spacing of intermodes carriers interference
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 10:44:59 -0800
On 1/23/2013 10:16 AM, N1BUG wrote:
Are you sure, Jim? He said he has carriers every 9 kHz. This is a well known problem from AM BC mixes in Europe, where their MW BC stations are spaced 9 kHz apart. I may be wrong but I believe the 9 kHz spacing is used in the middle east also. What he is experiencing may be the same issue many us in North America have on 1810, 20, 30, 40, ... due to mixes or harmonics from our MW BC stations spaced 10 kHz.

Based on his second description (hearing audio modulation on those 9 kHz spaced signals), I think you're right that they may be coming from some sort of broadcast intermod. After hearing that second description, I was hoping someone might have some direct experience with it. In Chicago, I heard a FEW mixes on 10 kHz increments, the result of a FEW sources, but not a LOT (the result of MANY sources).

Another clue -- if those are broadcast sources, there will be very strong carriers that are frequency-stable and quite precisely on 9 kHz increments (or 10 kHz in North America).

The symptom of EVERY 9 kHz suggests something in his setup may be strongly non-linear, like a preamp or RX front end that's getting badly overloaded, or that has poor strong signal performance.

73, Jim K9YC