RFI

Re: [RFI] 9Khz spacing of intermodes carriers interference

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] 9Khz spacing of intermodes carriers interference
From: Cortland Richmond <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 13:39:19 -0500
On 1/23/2013 1316, N1BUG wrote:
... He said he has carriers every 9 kHz. This is a well known problem from AM BC mixes in Europe, where their MW BC stations are spaced 9 kHz apart. I may be wrong but I believe the 9 kHz spacing is used in the middle east also. What he is experiencing may be the same issue many us in North America have on 1810, 20, 30, 40, ... due to mixes or harmonics from our MW BC stations spaced 10 kHz.

If that's the case I would look at ALL connections is ALL antenna systems, towers, masts, and any other metal (fences, roofing, etc.) within at least a few hundred feet of the antennas. I have found such issues contributing to the problem here.

That's why I suggested he look at intermod products. One of the stations I used was wrong, by the way, but he has identified his most aggressive neighboring stations.

I suggest trapping the strongest one *at the antenna*, in this case, the vertical, since changing the tuner settings there makes a difference. This could be as simple as IM in the SWR bridge diodes.

Cortland
KA5S