RFI

Re: [RFI] Quiet 24V charger needed

To: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Quiet 24V charger needed
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 11:49:22 -0700
On 25 Mar 2014 at 13:53, Gary Smith wrote:

> My father's electric chair's charger went south. Its out of
> production and I haven't found an original charger. I bought a
> generic 24 DC charger on fleabay and it is the with rare exception
> the strongest signal on the band and it disrupts from 10 - 160
> (didn't try higher). Its amazing how loud this junk is on the air. I
> tried ferrite clamp-ons on the output & input with zero change in
> interference.
>
> An absolute POS.
>
> I need to find a 24V charger that is RFI friendly, a smart charger
> would be ideal. Anyone have a suggestion for one I can order?

Gary:

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but in my experience, rather than
beating your head against a wall trying to find one you can buy, you might
look for articles that have been published in QST and other sources on
building your own "smart charger". Those I remember were all linear,
non-switching, types which output no significant RF noise.

Ken W7EKB