RFI

Re: [RFI] ARRL to FCC...

To: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>, "RFI@contesting.com" <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] ARRL to FCC...
From: Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 09:56:16 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Ed,

Your comments about testing of fixtures are of great interest to me.  You may
have seen a posting I made a few days ago regarding a replacement fluorescent
fixture that creates much more RFI than did its predecessor.  The new fixture
is an American Fluorescent Model 234SLFSW Utility Light, uses two 48" tubes,
has a 5 foot cord with grounding (3-prong) plug, and bears an FCC mark on the
end cap.  The ballast appears to be fully integral to the fixture - not
replaceable by an off-the-shelf ballast.  The UPC on this critter is: 0 37949
28177 1.  Mine is from lot 1352A, and I bought it at Menards in Marion, IA,
just 2 weeks ago.  It wipes out the AM b'cast band and 160 thru 40 meters.

If this is not one of the fixtures that have been tested, I'd like to suggest
that it be added to the list.  Cost is under $20.  I contacted the company,
located near Chicago (although the fixture is made in China), and their QC
manager told me to go get a filter from Radio Shack.  I replied to him with a
list of good anti-RFI design reasons why a plug-in filter intended to reduce
emissions above 30 MHz would not help this problem, as well as describing what
should be done to reduce RFI from the unit.  I have had zero response to that
e-mail.

I find it interesting that when I searched Amazon for this unit, and found the
listing, many buyers reported great disappointment with the life of the unit.
A few even had DOA units, but others had them last a few weeks to less than a
year.

The fixture that died on me was the SAME brand, made more than 10 years ago,
created little to no RFI (except for a few seconds upon start-up), and with
which I was happy camper.  When I tore the old unit apart, I found it had two
separate electronic ballast units inside, one at each end, and integrated into
the plastic end caps.  One unit had a blown cap ("guts" exploded right out of
it), which is probably why the fixture died.  I also noted that each ballast
had an actual small iron core inductor (multiple taps on the winding, about 1
1/4" in size)and that the green safety wire of the 3-prong line cord went
directly to the metal chassis of the fixture, in no way being connected to any
part of the switcher ballasts at all.  Amazingly, the "switches" for each
ballast were a pair of transistors in TO-92 plastic cases!

73, Dale
WA9ENA