RFI

Re: [RFI] Utility coming tomorrow to chase RFI

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Utility coming tomorrow to chase RFI
From: "qrv@kd4e.com" <qrv@kd4e.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 13:54:51 -0400
Yes re. AM, got that piece, now looking for an affordable used
handheld that gets me that on VHF & preferably also UHF.

BTW: It is bizarre that the HF noise is directionally-obvious.
As I walk toward two poles it gets louder - when I back away
it gets weaker - when I do the same with other poles the same
does not happen.

I do observe some coupling of the radio to the pole - using
the pole as a passive-repeater for AM-BC signals but I don't
observe the same on HF/SW.

Fascinating ...

David KD4E

David, you must use a receiver in AM mode.  FM will not detect noise
which is mostly amplitude modulated.  If you have a 10 meter HF yagi
see if you can get a rough heading on the noise using that antenna,
six meters would be better yet.  Remember noise is amplitude
modulated NOT frequency modulated, so you need to listen in AM Or
SSB.  An air band receiver works quite well anything cheap will do
for close in and it's in the 120 Mhz plus range which is better yet.
The higher in frequency you go the closer you'll have to be to the
noise.  126 or so Mhz will work fine and get you in the ball park.

I have a Icom IC-T7H which does do air band along with 144 meter and
440.  The Alinco DJ-G7 also does air band.  I believe Kenwood has
some too.

GL Dale, k9vuj