RFI

Re: [RFI] ARRL to FCC...

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] ARRL to FCC...
From: David Cole <dave@nk7z.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 09:11:33 -0700
Ed,

I chair our clubs RFI committee, and we help locate RFI for hams that
can't.  Your comment has hit one of my major concerns right square on
the head!

One of my nightmares is that I help a grower to quiet down a grow
operation, then he gets busted and tells the DEA NK7Z helped me, my life
will get very complicated very quickly...  So I don't do that, I just
hand out our sheet, which we paid a lawyer to check out, and let them
know that we will be reporting it very soon if things don't get fixed...
No offer of help is made in any way...  If help is asked for, I explain
the above to them, and they seem to understand, I then refer them to the
FCC and the ARRL's web sites, tell them thank you, remind them once more
they are causing problems, and then move on...

This entire situation with growers is really quite unfair to Hams in
general because the Amateur Operator is not breaking any laws, and is in
fact providing Emergency communications, and is exposed to at least the
list below:

1.  The Amateur Operator is put at risk of being shot.
2.  The Amateur Operator is being put at risk of being sued.
3.  The Amateur Operator's family might come to be at risk if a grower
is not legal and gets wind he is being DFed.
4.  The Amateur Operator is placed in the enforcer role by the FCC not
doing any active RFI enforcement.
6.  The states are encouraging the legalization process with out
adequate thought to what can happen as a result, like RFI.
7.  Most of the people generating the RFI don't even know what RFI is,
so the Amateur Operators are placed in a position of being involved with
growers, in at least a possible first contact scenario.
8.  The process is not legal federally, so any contact an Amateur
Operator has-- places him.her at more risk.
9.  All for a hobby...

Any sane person looking at that list would say, drop the hobby like a
hot potato, some hams say leave it alone and live with it...  But as we
all know neither is is going to happen... But-- I wonder how many hams
are getting discouraged by the RFI levels in the legal grow states, they
are really high, (pun intended), in the legal states...

Until you have lived in a legal grow state, in a residential area, you
have NO IDEA how bad it can get...  We have caused at least three grow
operations to move, or stop, all within a one mile radius of my QTH...
We live in a nice residential area where homes are close to 300K each,
not in Deliverance country, so pretty much everyone is getting Cards and
growing.  I can only hope legalization puts some controls on things here
in Oregon.

One person I know simply turns off his rig at 7:31 every night, when the
grow lights come on...  40 over S9 on 80 through 10 Meters...  The same
source, 1/2 mile form me is only 10 over S9 on 40 meters...  The three
other hams involved are not happy campers either... See a previous post
about locating this source if interested...

I just wish there was a professional locating service for this, I would
pay them a lot hard cash to locate the house, then I would report it to
the FCC.  This single source is really difficult to locate-- again see
my previous post if interested why...

--
Thanks and 73's,
www.nk7z.net