RFI

Re: [RFI] Electric Fence pulsing (will get worse soon !)

To: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Electric Fence pulsing (will get worse soon !)
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 00:56:09 -0000
> Great comments,  All I know at this point is most of the 3-4 part fencing is
> very new.  The original section 1000' away I don't think I ever heard, or if I
> did, it was really weak.

Sounds like it.

> He's adding sections all the time, but you're right....I don't think the
> section that runs literally 20' from my antennas is online yet. I am sure I
> would felt a slight shock.....even with sneakers on.

Yes. The voltage is something like 2KV at a LOW and 5KV or more on the other
end. You
most certainly should have felt something.

> All I know about his controller so far is that it's battery operated, solar
> charged and has 2 short-ish ground rods.

THAT is not correct: according to everything I've seen on the subject, they
must have at
least 3 ea 6 to 8 foot long ground rods, separated by at least 18", connected
by
GALVANIZED fence wire and driven to within an inch or two of the top of the
rod, and
connected directly to the controller. Galvanized, because copper corrodes.

To test whether or not the grounding is sufficient, you must short the fence
(the HOT side)
to ground then measure the voltage. If the voltage, with the fence grounded, is
NOT less
than 200 volts, more grounding is needed.

>   I've never been over to his land, preferring to talk to him casually on our
> property line a couple times, allow him some time to tweak his grounds and
> other connections we discussed and put the last section , closest to me,
> online. He's promised to look at it and is a smart guy 'cuz when we talked
> grounds, he knew right away he didn't have enough of one.

Well, he sure as heck doesn't.

> I'd rather not be a mosquito (hi hi_) even though he doesn't really realize
> the noise and grief he's causing me, I think it's tactically better to wait
> til it's all up and running then perhaps I can help him fix whatever issues
> exist at that time, rather than visiting him a bunch of times. (I'll become
> that pesky guy he won't want to listen to, I am sure.....BTDT)

Maybe....I'm not so sure. I think I would try to 1) see how much he really
knows about
electric fencing and "cattle", 2) perhaps find and give him some really
definitive
documentation on it, and 3) advise him, carefully and quietly, that unless the
system is
installed correctly, it can cause significant problems with HIS home
entertainment
equipment. Advise him of every possible interference problem from improperly
installed or
maintained electric fencing. Emphasize the effect on HIM, not so much you, but
then DO
mention that you can hear it now. But do NOT try to come across as an expert in
anything,
but only as a good neighbor concerned for his safety and the safety of his
barns, for
instance. Telling him, off-handedly, that you have been "in electronics" for
blah-blah years
might be a good idea too. But do this very carefully. You DO NOT want to come
off as
though you know more than you do.

> Good info on the Clydesdales.  We're looking forward to seeing them 75-80'
> from our back window.  For 11 years we've looked out onto an empty cow field
> surrounded by boring, thick woods.

Clydesdales were, for too long, on the very ragged edge of extinction. Many
were simply
being slaughtered for glue and dogfood.

One thing you might keep in mind: after the animals have been "trained" to
understand an
electric fence (and all animals have to be so trained), the fence can often be
simply left off,
and only needs to be turned back on again at irregular intervals.

Ken W7EKB