RFI

Re: [RFI] Auto quieting

To: "KD8NNU" <goldtr8@charter.net>, "Michael Coslo" <mcoslo@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Auto quieting
From: "Mike Ryan" <mryan001@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2015 10:02:34 -0400
The coil over plug noise here was eliminated for the most part by using copper tape to cover the coils. Then some shielding from RG-213 coax cable ( or Rg8..whatever you have) was then soldered to the copper tapes on all cylinders, then grounded together. I had noise generated by the disc brakes on my car. When the static level builds up (frequently) I step on the brakes and it cuts off like a switch. It does not immediately come back but soon does. Anti-stat powder in the tires was suggested but I never found any. (You can see some of this inside new tires when you buy them.) Electric fuel pump noise is a bear for those with the pumps inside the tanks like on many Ford products. There is information on the web about those who were able to conquer it...as I recall some had to go into the tank to get to the pump which was how I remembered the fix. What a hassle...thanks Ford. Electric cooling fans on cars are common rather than the old belt driven fans. The leads to these should have bypass caps. Bonding the exhaust system to the frame....in several places in possible. Doors, trunk lids, hoods, all should have straps with star washers beneath through the paint. My Chrysler 300 was one of the quietest mobile platforms I had ever driven after these things were done. -Mike

-----Original Message----- From: KD8NNU