RFI

Re: [RFI] Auto quieting

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Auto quieting
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 01:31:31 -0400
I fail to see where two runs of RG8 size cables in a car, large SUV, or long cab pickup truck would be cost prohibitive. Typically "It's Cheap"! Probably as cheap as heavy gauge flexible wire and you can use old coax no longer suited for RF. Even if you purchase new, the cost is a fraction of the overall installation unless it's an old rig and antenna. Typically I use the R/B heavy "zip cord" size 8 or 10. I never use the car's lighter plug, or wiring. Not after trying it just once. I found two runs of 8X was often sufficient. I did say often, not that it's always large enough.

Termination? A simple terminal block, with two fuses and a short pigtail to the rig with the proper connector.

The only valid drawbacks I can see with RG8 is lack of flexibility and its size. I've found versions of so called RG-8 that were very flexible, but size was still an issue.

Another consideration is the size of the alternator and battery. Many new cars and not just hybrids do not have either enough battery, or alternator. Those need the engine running any time the rig is on.

Hybrids with that great big battery only have a tiny battery and alternator available for 12VDC.

73

Roger (K8RI)