RFI

Re: [RFI] Broadband RFI...

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Broadband RFI...
From: Dave Cole <dave@nk7z.net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 23:31:45 -0700
On Tue, 2016-05-31 at 22:47 -0700, Jim Brown wrote:
> RFI/ EMC is a topic I started working on professionally around 2001.
> I'm still vice-chair of the AES Standards Committee Working Group on
> EMC, and am a principal author of all of our Standards on EMC. A lot
> of what I know came from hanging out with some of the other very
> bright guys in that WG.

That answers some questions...  :)

> Don't shortchange the P3 -- it is a REAL spectrum analzyer, and, if
> you've calibrated your K3, the P3 will also be calibrated. There are
> instructions in the K3 manual for doing amplitude calibration if you
> have a calibrated generator.

Unfortunately, I don't believe I have anything to calibrate with, with
the possible exception of an XG-3.  I will look over the calibration
process, and see if the XG-3 will work for that.

> There are some settings and adjustments that make the P3 more
> powerful.  First, always use averaging of the amplitude display, and
> at its maximum setting. This gets rid of all the random stuff and lets
> us concentrate on signals and electronic noise. Second, always keep
> the bottom of the display adjusted to the noise floor. This makes
> signals (and noise) far more visible. Third, set the Scale so that you
> see the relatively weak noise traces that we're looking for. Fourth,
> used "Fixed Tune Mode," so that averaging does not reset every time
> you tune. And for chasing noise, I usually use the widest setting (200
> kHz).
>
> Also, on the K3, set S-Meter to Absolute and turn the preamp on. This
> will maximize the sensitivity of the P3. I think there's also
> a setting for that in the P3 menu.

I will switch to averaging, that makes sense to me...  I already do the
bottom of the display for better viewing of noise thing.  I also run
fixed tune already so that will be easy...

S-Meter is set to Abs already, and I will start using the preamp on the
K3.  All nice tips...

Two things I do-- I take my second display for the P3, which is a 7 inch
LCD, and adjust the brightness to show off the most low level detail
possible in the waterfall, while setting the P3 display slightly lighter
to show other aspects, that don't show up when set too low.  I can see
different things in the same swath of spectrum, at the same time that
way...

I also run the waterfall in B and W, that was the single most productive
thing I have done to date to improved my ability to spot little issues
in the Waterfall...  Getting it out of color mode, and into black and
white was a Godsend, if you don't run in B/W, give it a try.

Jim, thanks yet again for your insight and tips!!!  I will let you know
if this is my RFI source, but I am pretty sure it is...

One more little clue, I have not mentioned yet...  The previous RFI
generating site had two light string's on two timers, so I always got a
two step start up, I am getting that again with the broadband RFI
signal...

I think I will play with this a bit prior to contacting the house, maybe
try some DFing, and triangulation on the broadband signal first, so I
can get used to it, as this is the first time I have seen one...  I also
want to a lot of documentation prior to having it go away.

--
73's, and thanks,
Dave (NK7Z)