RFI

Re: [RFI] ebay line filters

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] ebay line filters
From: Doug Powell <dougp01@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 07:49:10 -0600
One thing you should realize about line filters is they are optimized for
conducted line emissions coming from the product where they are built in. This
means the line / load labeling  ‎will determine your best orientation for
connection. If you are attempting to protect your own gear, you can reverse a
filter if you wish and there will be no harm to the filter itself. Also, the
case of the filter needs to be well bonded to the chassis of your equipment.

As for the effectiveness of a line filter, much of a filter's design is not
just the components but the internal layout of the components and the internal
wire routing. I have worked professionally with line filters for many years and
if there's anything I have learned it is that manufacturer's data sheets have
little to do with your specific application. For one thing, all the
measurements they report use 50 Ohm matched signal generators and analyzers.
The real world of power lines are a far cry different than 50 Ohms.

Possibly, the best thing you can do is to perform your own sweep using a LISN
or a Tastkoph probe which will protect the analyzer from the line voltage.
Identify what is the RF noise profile you currently have, then locate a filter
that has good attenuation numbers at the points of concern. Most of the time
line filters are effective in the 100 kHz to 100 MHz range.

All the best, Doug

Douglas E Powell‎
dougp01@gmail.com ‎
‎https://www.linkedin.com/in/dougp01