RFI

[RFI] Another Use for SO2R

To: RFI RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Another Use for SO2R
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 21:47:30 -0400
I may have mentioned this before:

For many years, I've been spared the trials of RFI, ingress and egress.

I've been working on many things this summer and both stations sat idle. Well not idle, but more like a gathering of parts and tools. The last time I used both stations all was quiet except for the grounding? problem in the shop.

I fired up the FTDX5000MP on 40 to be greeted by a tremendous noise stronger than any signals. Disconnecting the antenna made no difference. Most everything in here including the rig, excluding the amp which is on it's own circuit runs off a 3 KVA line conditioner which generates a "pure sin wave" was quiet when I installed it, but not now. I hope that line conditioner has a good warranty. I don't think that sin wave is still pure.

Taking the line conditioner out of the equation dropped the noise to a point where the band is sorta useful, but not for DX.

There was another signal under the strong one. It appears that was an LED light failing. My wife remarked, "But it only blinks occasionally." <sigh>

Now, I get the trials of replacing our 21 year old furnace and air conditioner. I wonder if I could remove the PWM fan speed control and just run a constant speed, or find a quiet one and someone local who sells them.

Hopefully the station in the shop will be quiet. The shop is on its own feed and we just finished a new sidewalk from the garage to the shop, poured over Styrofoam that will hopefully keep the pads in front of the man doors as well as the sidewalk from heaving up.

73

Roger (K8RI)

---