RFI

Re: [RFI] A source of RFI

To: "chas cartmel" <chas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RFI] A source of RFI
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 09:58:32 -0700
On 29 May 2017 at 17:50, chas cartmel wrote:

> Could be the monitor. In my case a new monitor caused considerable RFI.

I think that is the case here. I am going to attack the problem from that end
first.

> exchanged this for another in another room and RFI was greatly reduced.
> As with all leads I use ferrite clamp-on chokes on PC connections and any
> power leads to and from intermediate power packs such as wall warts and
> laptop / monitor external PSUs.

Yes. I find I must do that too, but also to keep RF in the shack from getting
into the 'pooter or
peripherals.

> All my equipment, rig PC and monitor, is
> connected to a single earth point in the shack which in turn is connected to
> earthing rods external to the property.

My earth ground here is poor, but I intend to remedy that asap. 4 ea 8'
copper-clad steel
ground rods, separated by 8', driven to within an inch or two of the surface of
the ground,
connected together by size 00 welding cable, then into the shack. about 15
feet, with 00
welding cable.

> I am aware that somebody on this site stated that earthing in this manner to
> reduce earth loops was not necessary as earth loops did not exist,

Yes. I remember that...

> however
> it seems the RFI in my case had not read the text book and decided to reduce
> itself anyway.

When I installed even the poor ground system I have now, my results were about
the same
as yours: noise was reduced.

> Hope you get it sorted.

Ha! Me too! Thanks... :-)