RFI

Re: [RFI] ethernet switch with shielded case or low emission spectrum

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] ethernet switch with shielded case or low emission spectrum
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 23:34:27 -0700
On 3/28/2018 11:22 PM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
I was hoping someone may have found a "quite" switch that could be recommended.  Some of the semi-pro (e.g. Netgear home-office rack mount) stuff has metal cases -- but I don't know if that actually means they are quieter.

Hi Jeff,

I have no equipment recommendations, but can at least offer these thoughts.

Unfortunately, shielding requires FAR more than putting circuitry in a conductive enclosure. Many such boxes are "clamshells" with paint insulating the places where they SHOULD meet, so they're not really shielded. Every cable SHIELD that enters a shielding enclosure must be bonded to the enclosure AT THE POINT OF ENTRY. Any unshielded conductors must go through feed-through caps that shunt RF to the chassis, but doing that with data circuits would likely trash the data. :) This problem can be solved by one or more ferrite common mode chokes on the cable.

73, Jim K9YC