RFI

Re: [RFI] ethernet switch with shielded case or low emission spectrum

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] ethernet switch with shielded case or low emission spectrum
From: Christopher Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 17:16:57 -0800
For similar reasons I recently ordered a pair of Netgear GS108 switches.

12VDC power and metallic case.

I like the option to run off of heavily choked shack DC (except for the
computer and a couple larger amps my whole shack runs off of the battery
bank/charger).

And a metal case, one can at least be hopeful there is some shielding.

That being said, and inline with W0LEV comments in another message...

I always assume there are idiots in the production chain that are going
to powder coat or similar what should be a conductive seam in an
otherwise shielded product.

safety glasses
dremel with carbon steel and stainless brushes (use SS on alu cases)
90deg die grinder with 3m disks

copper foil tape w/ conductive adhesive

Whenever I get a product like these switches, or a computer case, etc...

I assume the seams will be bad.

I generally take to the garage, break open, grind all the mating
surfaces to bare and apply an o2 excluding grease like no-ox-id.

Plastic cases, seams with poor overlap/etc...those get copper tape.

Alot of cheap brick type switchers get alot quieter when there is a 2.4"
toroid with 12 turns on both input and output cables (or more than one
if needed), _and_ the plastic case has a layer of copper foil.

The copper tape might be overkill for most folks but my shack is 2nd
story above my living room and both are 35ft from my HF antenna so every
bit helps.

Don't know if the GS108s will work for me, I got them due to good
experience with a similar 10/100 netgear model (metal case 12vdc), and I
got those based on a 12vdc metal cased Kingston hub they replaced.

All cables will of course be choked and choked again.