RFI

Re: [RFI] Recommendation needed: Whole house surge protection

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Recommendation needed: Whole house surge protection
From: "David Harmon" <k6xyz@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 12:36:15 -0500
A friend of mine home burned down and a lot of other homes were severely
damaged exactly this way.
A drunk hit a pole and the HV fell across the LV lines.
The power company refused to accept responsibility.
Part of my friends problem was that the receptacle(s) in his garage had some
tools left plugged in and the HV lit up the line cords for the tools.
I remember seeing him and his wife on the local TV news standing on the
sidewalk in their underwear watching the fire dept trying to put out the
fire.
They would not get near it until the power was shut off....so they just
watched along with the neighbors.
I learned looong ago when another fire just like this started at work for
the same reason.
After that....no line cords were allowed to be left plugged in.
I got into the habit so now I live where there is a lot of lightening and I
unplug the radio gear and everything with a microprocessor in it.
Especially when lightening is within 50 miles.
Recently I got a new dishwasher and clothes washer.
I unplug them when they are not in use....
The TV's and associated equipment and satellite antenna even though they are
plugged into surge protectors get unplugged too.
The house meter on the pole has a surge protector too.
Paranoid??
No....but why take a chance?

73

David Harmon