RFI

Re: [RFI] Recommendation needed: Whole house surge protection

To: k6xyz@sbcglobal.net, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Recommendation needed: Whole house surge protection
From: Thomas Hoyer <thoyer1@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 15:38:19 -0400
When the car hit the pole last Wed night, one of the upper HV lines fell across
one of the lower lower voltage lines. This caused a surge on one leg feeding
hundreds of houses in the neighborhood. several fire companies made the rounds
through the homes in the area going door to door checking for smoke / fire. I
heard of four houses did have fire issues that were quickly addressed.

It wasn't just one surge either, it happened a couple times, I guess the wires
were swaying and contacting each other.

I also have  a habit of unplugging most everything when not in use. The problem
was this surge occurred around 9pm when most people were home watching TV and
on the computer or radios. Lucky for me I had work to do so I didn't have the
radios on and the power switch feeding the outlet for them was off (I was going
to be very upset if my TS-990 took a hit....).

Several of the breakers in the house tripped. Most of the ones that did were on
the feed that surged.

The computer surge protector fried along with the others throughout  the house
that were on the affected leg.

A catastrophic event like this would be difficult to protect against given the
duration of the surge(s) but I figure installing a whole hose protector (a good
one) is another level of protection on top of the lightning protection I have
for the antennas and feed lines.

I've lived at this location for over 25 years and this was the first time we
have an event like this - hopefully the last.

I spoke with one of the utility guys that was out doing repairs and he told me
that over his career he's seen about 50 house fires caused by "cheap" plastic
enclosed surge protectors.

I'm very familiar with the failure mode of varistors having used them in
different products we have designed over the years. One of the things we always
did was to either wrap them in Kapton tape or cover them in heatshrink tubing
to minimize the shrapnel when they let loose. I took apart two of our surge
protectors. One was in my daughters room a cheap one (I didn't know it was
there - came home from college with her....). The varistor in that was
obliterated and definitely hot enough to cause a fire. This was the first one
we smelled that night and immediately threw it outside. The second one was on
my computer and had a couple banks of varistors wrapped with Kapton tape. While
this one didn't survive there was no shrapnel inside as the tape held the
varistors intact.

One other lesson I gave my kids that night was an easy one - the smell of an
electrical fire. Made them smell the surge protectors up close and told them
that was a smell that is hard to forget. If they ever smell something like that
in their own homes start checking the electronics.

Sorry for the rambling.......

Tom
W3TA