RFI

Re: [RFI] Air Conditioner / Heat Pump recommendations

To: rfi <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Air Conditioner / Heat Pump recommendations
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 08:11:20 -0600
>Three years ago I had a Trane/Carrier heat pump system installed.
>Trane and Carrier make at least 17 models and at least 16 are
>exactly identical.

Those brands are manufactured by Ingersoll Rand.  I.R. also
manufactures the American Standard brand.

https://company.ingersollrand.com/products/portfolio-of-brands.html

They are in my estimation fine products.  1 year ago I had a new
furnace put in, an 80K BTU single stage basic furnace made by American
Standard.  I deliberately searched for a single stage with an AC
motor.  Any DC motor was instantly rejected because as one poster
mentioned, single speed and DC still means RFI because the motor will
run at one speed on pulsed square wave DC.  The only sure way to avoid
a problem is to get a forced air solution that uses an AC powered
blower.  I have had zero RFI and did nothing to modify my furnace.  Is
there a downside?  Sure--80% efficiency instead of 98% but to me, 80%
is pretty good.

73

Rob
K5UJ