RFI

Re: [RFI] How to proceed?

To: rfi@contesting.com, K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Subject: Re: [RFI] How to proceed?
From: AA5CT via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 16:44:16 +0000 (UTC)
 Scott,

I initially did the "feed it through the local repeater" trick to
a hand-held at the site where I had located a noise source.
This was back +15 years or so and boosted my confidence
in my low band/160 tracking methods and verified I found
the source that was affecting. I did this, because, I had trouble
coming to grips that a 'source' could be a mile plus away
and be my 'problem'. This source had a unique signature, so
it was easy to distinguish by ear.

Since then, using Marine (MW/HF) directional tracking gear
and doing either continuous tracking (via a bicycle) or many
stops and taking multiple bearings to confirm that the source
is still off in the same direction I'm heading - until passing it
in which case the bearing 'swings' around still pointing at
the source. Using the Marine DF receiver with Sense antenna
cardiod directional pattern works extremely well.

The bicycle technique works well out to about a mile, and if
the source is still off in the distance the car picks up from
there. I did just this last week, finding one noise source to
my NNE at +1/2 mile at a residence and a second WNW
which turned out to be 5.4 miles distant.

By all means, use every trick in the book, it confirms a source
plus bolsters one's confidence as one become more experienced.

73 de AA5CT

.
.
     On Monday, January 27, 2020, 10:05:12 AM CST, K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>