RFI

Re: [RFI] Multi-Stage High Efficiency Air Conditioner Units

Subject: Re: [RFI] Multi-Stage High Efficiency Air Conditioner Units
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2020 01:22:33 -0800
Yes. Common mode chokes can correct for serious design errors and the penny-pinching cost reductions made by the bean-counters that degrade the RF immunity of the product. Common mode chokes applied to noisy cables are non-intrusive to the design -- for example, they don't affect rise times that can seriously increase dissipation and cause equipment failure. Capacitors and inductors applied to the differential circuit CAN cause problems by affecting rise times.

As a SYSTEMS engineer who realizes the complexity of designing inside the box, I have always concentrated on solutions that are outside the box. And the differential circuit (like things that affect rise times( is often inside the box.

If you haven't already done so, I STRONGLY urge you to study the app notes on my website about "The Pin One Problem," which is, sadly, nearly universal, and the primary cause of hum, buzz, and RFI in practical systems. k9yc.com/publish/htm

In addition to adding ferrite common mode chokes to wiring that can act as antennas, the most important solution is proper bonding. That's addressed here. http://k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf

73, Jim K9YC