RFI

Re: [RFI] Arc-fault breakers

To: tony.kaz@verizon.net, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Arc-fault breakers
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 11:50:14 -0800
On 24 Feb 2020 at 14:37, Tony via RFI wrote:

> Isn't the main purpose to prevent getting shocked, particularly where there
> is a potential for a wet area?
> I have had GFI outlets and breakers for years and never a problem with
> tripping, when they weren't supposed to trip. And I run full power at times
> from 10-160M. Once a year I use the GFI tester to check that they are all
> working.
> 73,
> N2TK, Tony

Tony:

We are not talking about GFCIs (Ground Fault Circuit Interruptors).

We are talking about the newer AFCIs, or Arc Fault Circuit Interruptors, which
are a
completely different device for completely different purposes.

As an old (very old) electrician, with experience with both, the AFCIs are
totally unnecessary
and HUGELY problem causing....at least in an RF environment and in their
present
configuration.

Ken W7EKB