RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI-free Vehicle 5v USB Adapter?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI-free Vehicle 5v USB Adapter?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 19:02:50 -0700
On 3/15/2020 5:41 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
I have a few Anker dual-port lighter/USB devices.  WIth them in the
   shack, charging phones, and running an esp8266, I don't hear them.
   That of course doesn't prove totally quiet; it means less than my
   other noise.

What matters is proximity to ANTENNAS, not to radios. It also matters what OTHER noise we're hearing -- the typical home has DOZENS of noise sources. We hear our own and we hear our neighbors, so one noise is buried by the combination of those others. I generally discount observations that xy device is quiet unless they have been made in a location that is already relatively quiet, or the device is very close to antennas used for observation.

Our 7QP and CQP county expedition team ran into the issue of a logging computer that could be used while mobile, with HF antennas a few feet from the computer and the inverter and computer's power adapter! I have a similar situation in my shack, with a 160M vertical only 20 ft from my operating desk.

To evaluate a potential noise source, I use a battery operated RX that can tune to the ham bands, and use it to probe around that source and the wiring connected to it.

NA6O has gone several big steps better, setting up noise sources in a test lab that he's built and qualified!

73, Jim K9YC