RFI

Re: [RFI] The ARRL Contest Update for April 1, 2020

To: 'rfi' <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] The ARRL Contest Update for April 1, 2020
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2020 21:57:13 -0700
"Guess you are not on an airway frequented by commercial aircraft, as that is who was complaining in Scotland. Besides, you're just a ham, what do you know about it? (from the point of view of officialdom)"

You'd be very surprised, as I often am...  (regarding above)

My post was in reference to the responses by some, through the forum, that think this is something new, different, unique, or special, not the poorly written OFCOM report. Am I wrong, or did this report, or one nearly identical, come out a year, or two, ago? It looks very familiar.

Now, I'm seeing comments that based on the random image of a tungsten bulb used to accompany the report (assume some web flunky thinking no further than, "Light Bulb. Picture. Copy. Paste. I get break now."), that that particular bulb type was the cause, how, and why. The style shown has been around for some thirty years, they were a big deal when I was in the lighting business in the 90's. I have several, and am in the presence of several, up to several times a week, usually monitoring the VHF airband, with the squelch off. No issue has ever been noted by myself, or others, nor have I heard of an issue from a filament bulb operating normally (no other issue within the circuit), in any write-up, by anyone, ever, since they were created some 130 years ago. I can hear aircraft 300 miles beyond the west coast from near Dayton, Nevada, but I have yet to hear noise from a bulb (using various filament types) made from the 1890's onward when within inches, to feet, daily. Seems pretty unlikely there'd be an issue now, despite the theories presented today based on the OFCOM article-monkey image, and description of something else entirely on amazon. Not to say they don't produce noise at a thermal, or molecular level, but, seriously, that hardly matters in most cases...

Also, note that the recent link through the forum shows, again, some plain filament tungsten bulbs, never known to be an issue under normally operating conditions, by the billions, globally, daily, AND, the RFI producing crap from Hell, "LED Filament" bulbs (remember my comment of it's one, or the other?), which I had mentioned here for quite some time, as I came across them, and they caused havoc to communications equipment, the worst jamming wi-fi. Entirely different technologies, the only things related being, light production, and general bulbish shape.

Here is the link posted to the forum earlier, describing one thing (not a problem), in the text, showing some of that not-a-problem bulb, THEN, at the fourth image down, a DIFFERENT type of bulb, an LED bulb, specifically marketed as "LED Filament" by those that manufacture, and describe them incorrectly, but more accurately, the ones that DO generate an issue, and the precise type I've commented on, beginning with the first ones I had seen, about ten years ago:

https://www.amazon.com/CTKcom-Nostalgic-Tungsten-Incandescent-Industrial/dp/B06XDBDTGN/ref=sr_1_19?qid=1585791373&refinements=p_n_feature_three_browse-bin%3A4906234011&s=hi&sr=1-19

I'm seeing numerous issues surrounding this, not limited to, but including, reactionary confusion by many, of the terms, "light bulb", "filament", "tungsten", in some cases, "LED", and "LED filament", associated with random photos of random bulbs, of different types, and technologies, used together, and separately, in vague reports, by sellers, and web article flunkies alike, of average incompetence.

Now, I have no intention of bashing those associated with a larger US based radio club RFI research lab that checks these things out on occasion, and my following words are in general, years after the fact, but, seriously, it's been a decade, or so, go out at lunch tomorrow, spend a few bucks, and buy the type of bulb that's causing the issue, screw it in, turn it on, use a junk HT, or scanner with AM VHF RF reception capabilities, and hear the broad-spectrum Tesla Coil type RFI spewing crap storm these have been generating for years, and get up to speed. It really, REALLY mattered then, and we're getting more boned by the day. Honestly, I figured this would have been addressed within the first week (years ago), when only a couple were on the market.

Kurt