RFI

Re: [RFI] Anyone Tested These LED Light Bars for RFI?

To: "qrv@kd4e.com" <qrv@kd4e.com>, "RFI@contesting.com" <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Anyone Tested These LED Light Bars for RFI?
From: "Cianciolo, Paul, W1VLF" <pcianciolo@arrl.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 13:25:31 +0000
Dave,

Scott make a good point about one run of lights may be quiet, and the next
batch not be.

However I have bought for my own home 18 of a certain model Lights of America
4 foot shop lights.
They were bought over the course of 3 years and all have been extremely quiet.
The last 5 I bought were about a year ago.
Originally I tested one lamp, thought it was to good to be true and bought
another. Same results so I bout 8 more.

I tested these 3 ways.

1) I used a ICF 20210 Sony portable that covers 150 KHZ to 30 MHZ.. No
discernable noise with the radio 1 foot away and tuning across the 150K to 30
Mhz
2) I build 60 KHz ferrite antennas and tune them to resonance, test them in my
shop  roughly 5 feet away from 6 of these bulbs. They have no influence on the
received signal... quiet
3) In an effort to confirm my empirical findings I brought one to work  and
tested it on the LISN in the EMC lab.  The result was basically the noise floor
of the test instruments.

I "listen" to a lot of LF and VLF, and MF  stations for the purpose of
monitoring propagation etc. so noise is my primary enemy and I have never heard
a peep.

Sometimes with LED lamps  that are driven of the AC line directly you might
wonder about flicker.  These lamps use a very long persistence  phosphor so
flicker is not a problem.
I forget the color temp and CRI of these lamps ,  but they are certainly
adequate for a shop or basement lighting.

All the lamps I bought  were from the local BJ's
The model numbers  Lights Of America   8140SE2-WH5  These are 40 watts total.

Your mileage may vary like I said its been a year since I bought my last lamp.

73,

Paul Cianciolo, W1VLF
ARRL EMC Engineer

ARRL - The national association for Amateur RadioT
225 Main Street, Newington, CT 06111-1400 USA
Telephone: (860) 594-0392
FAX: (860) 594-0259
Email: w1vlf@arrl.org
World Wide Web: www.arrl.org