RFI

Re: [RFI] Anyone Tested These LED Light Bars for RFI?

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Anyone Tested These LED Light Bars for RFI?
From: "Jeff \(W4DD\)" <w4dd09@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 09:39:46 -0400
Just to add to Scotts observation, I just finished working with my neighbor
on a RFI problem caused by LED light strings.  His house is about 200 ft
away from mine.  I had two types of noise, one that sounded like a variable
speed motor ticking away about 2-3 times a second and which was not synced
with the AC line (random).  The other noise was a raspy noise.

By turning off breakers and unplugging things, both of these were traced to
the power supplies for LED light strings.  The noise was present when the
power supplies were plugged in but LED lights were off.  Once the lights
were turned on, the noise disappeared.  Since the lights were seldom used,
that explained why the noise was their 99% of the time but once in a great
while disappeared.  Both of the power supplies were manufactured in China.
Since they were not used much, the neighbor wanted to discontinue use of
them.

Once I illustrated the noise from outside his house (RFI typically sounds
nasty when in close proximity and usually makes an effective demonstration),
we accomplished the work by me listening at my radio and him switching off
breakers and unplugging things.  We coordinated via cell phones.  Full
social distancing.

Jeff, W4DD (Atlanta)